The Disadvantages of Epoxy Floor Coatings
Epoxy floor coatings can look great when first laid, but over time their durability can fade, especially if applied incorrectly. An incorrect application can result in moisture being trapped underneath the epoxy, resulting in problematic bubbling below the surface.
Other issues with epoxy floor coatings also include:
- Cracking, Peeling and Chipping – Chipping is a common and well known issue with epoxy coatings. Depending on how much use your coated floors get, wear and tear can lead to eventual peeling or cracking of the coating as well, especially where heat and pressure are concerned. This will result in your flooring needing to be replaced as items like wheeled storage carts or racks in a garage can begin to catch on the damaged epoxy coating.
- Cheap – One of the main reasons epoxy flooring is chosen over alternatives is that it’s cheap. It is not ideal for highly trafficked areas and scratches easily. This makes it susceptible to abrasions from heavy items being dropped, like power tools, ladders or gardening tools.
- Slippery – Oil and water cause epoxy to become extremely slippery and potentially dangerous. This vulnerability makes an epoxy coating less than ideal for use in a garage or pool deck area.
- Long Curing Times – Epoxy can take several days to cure and must dry completely if multiple coats are desired for more strength. It also emits strong fumes during the curing process, so areas that need to dry must be well ventilated.
- Weather Sensitivity – These coatings require a low humidity application to properly adhere and do not do well when frequently exposed to UV rays or moisture; epoxy coatings will not fare well when applied to basement flooring or outdoor use areas.
Professional Removal of an Epoxy Floor Coating
Something else to think about when considering an epoxy floor coating is the fact that at some point you will inevitably have to remove and replace it. The removal process is strenuous and time-consuming.
The removal of an epoxy floor coating is best performed by a flooring professional. At Webfoot we have all the required equipment and know-how to safely get the job done successfully. In addition, we are able to avoid using caustic acids and toxic chemicals used in other DIY solutions. We simply grind the coating a 700 lb commercial-grade diamond-tooled grinder connected to triple-filtered HEPA vacuums.
Three Do-It-Yourself Options for Removing an Epoxy Coating
It is possible to remove epoxy flooring as a homeowner, but please know that we do not encourage this and we highly recommend you do extensive research upon deciding to take on a project like this yourself. Webfoot Concrete Coatings does not assume any liability, nor does any of its partners or affiliates, in the event that a homeowner experiences any accident or any life-altering consequences due to improper use of any chemical or machinery.
If you desire to remove the epoxy coating yourself, it is possible with some serious elbow grease and harsh chemicals. Removal may be required if you need to get rid of the old coating and apply a new one, or if the concrete underneath needs to be repaired. This process involves hours of scraping the epoxy away with metal scrapers or an industrial grade concrete grinder. One of the following methods will be needed:
1. ) Using an Acid to Remove an Epoxy Coating:
This method requires soaking the floor for extended periods of time or overnight. Among others, these are some of the different types of acids that can aid in removal:
- Sulfuric acid
- Muriatic acid
These chemicals require ventilation and the proper use of personal protective equipment such as:
- Rubber boots
- Acid-resistant, protective gloves
- Respirator with a filter to keep out fumes
- Goggles to protect your eyes
- Cap to cover your hair
You’ll need to mix a combination of chemicals to water, or use a method that allows you to heat the chemicals to a certain temperature to get them to penetrate and soften the epoxy. Some chemicals work better on smaller areas. Do some research and find out what the best approach may be for your particular coated space.
2. ) Using a Solvent to Remove an Epoxy Coating:
Alternatively, you can use solvents to remove epoxy coatings, but this method requires more work and time to achieve success. Paint thinners can be used but acetone produces the best results. You’ll need to start by scraping the flooring and removing as much of the epoxy as possible by hand. Afterward, you’ll be able to apply the solvent and work your way through the epoxy little by little. Removal by solvent may require several applications to achieve good results.
3.) Using a Concrete Floor Grinder Machine to Remove an Epoxy Coating:
You can use floor grinders to remove epoxy coatings more easily. These machines are extremely expensive so renting one will probably be your best bet. You will also want to read the directions carefully, concrete services are not indestructible and you don’t want to damage your surfaces by overgrinding. You can use a handheld tool with diamond grinding accessories in order to get into corners or edges.
What Makes a Floor Coating From Webfoot Concrete Coatings Different?
Our coatings are made by flooring professionals for flooring professionals; we think you’ll take notice—we use the very best products in our industry. Some of the great advantages of a Webfoot Concrete Coating product include:
- UV-Stability – Our concrete coatings are great both indoor and outdoor. They will not shrink, crack or chip if they are exposed to sunlight or extreme temperature changes.
- Durable and Strong– These coatings are four times stronger than epoxy and resistant to drops from tools and chemicals. Our polyurea coatings won’t chip, fade or peel like epoxy.
- Slip-Resistant – Our coatings do great when applied to garage floors or pool decks. This is because they are slip-resistant, even when wet!
- Great-Looking – You have an array of options that are only limited by your imagination. We create custom concrete flooring with you in mind. If you own a business, have a favorite sports team, or want to ensure that your flooring perfectly matches your decor, we can make it happen.
- Quick Application – We can coat your concrete surfaces in less than 24 hours. Even better, you will be back to enjoying your space in as little as 12 hours!
- Guaranteed – We stand behind our products. We guarantee that your concrete coatings will be the best investment you’ve ever made, and we believe it so much that we warranty your coating for 15 years.
If you’re interested in a new project to keep you busy, let Webfoot Concrete Coatings assist you in all your time-killing, spring activities. We can get you a free, no-obligation quote for the installation of a concrete coating that you and your family will enjoy for years to come. Visit us online for a contactless, virtual quote; we’re ready to support you and your efforts to stay happy and healthy.